• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Defensive Coordinator Jim Haslett

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR JIM HASLETT

J_1.jpg

BIOGRAPHICAL

James Donald "Jim" Haslett (born December 9, 1955 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania) is an American football coach and former linebacker. He is currently the Defensive Coordinator of the Washington Redskins. Previously, he served as the head coach for the Florida Tuskers of the United Football League, and the New Orleans Saints and St. Louis Rams in the National Football League.

PLAYING CAREER

Haslett attended Indiana University of Pennsylvania (he has since been inducted into the college football hall of fame), and was selected in the second round of the 1979 NFL Draft by the Buffalo Bills. He was a linebacker for the Buffalo Bills until 1985, and played with the New York Jets in 1987. He was named the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year for 1979. In a 2005 article in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Haslett admitted to using steroids while playing for the Buffalo Bills. Haslett went on record saying that "everybody tried it" to gain a competitive advantage against opposing teams.

img8325466.jpg

COACHING CAREER

University at Buffalo

Haslett's first coaching position was as an Assistant Coach at the University at Buffalo. He is the second assistant coach of the Buffalo Bulls to move and become a head coach in the NFL. The first was Buddy Ryan.

NFL Assistant Coaching Positions

Haslett began his NFL coaching career as a linebackers coach for the Los Angeles Raiders in 1993. Haslett next coached linebackers for the New Orleans Saints in 1995 and was promoted to defensive coordinator for the 1996 season. Haslett then coordinated the Pittsburgh Steelers defense for the 1997 through 1999 seasons.

New Orleans Saints

In January, 2000, Haslett was named head coach of the New Orleans Saints. That season, he guided the Saints to a 10–6 regular-season record, their second NFC West division championship, and the first playoff victory in franchise history (defeating the St. Louis Rams; they lost to the Minnesota Vikings the next week). As a result of the Saints' turnaround from their previous 3–13 season (under his predecessor, Mike Ditka), Haslett was named NFL Coach of the Year.

St. Louis Rams

Haslett became the Rams' defensive coordinator to start the 2006 season.

United Football League

Haslett will coach the Florida Tuskers of the United Football League; the League debuted in October 2009. The team went 6-0 in the inaugural season but were upset in the first-ever UFL Championship Game by the Las Vegas Locomotives. During the season, he was able to advise his son's high school football team.

Washington Redskins

Haslett was hired as the Washington Redskins defensive coordinator on January 12, 2010 under head coach Mike Shanahan. Haslett will replace Greg Blache who is expected to retire.

NFL DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR RECORD

New Orleans

1996 – 13th overall (20th scoring, 3rd passing, 27th rushing)

Pittsburgh

1997 – 6th overall (11th scoring, 18th passing, 1st rushing)
1998 – 12th overall (7th scoring, 18th passing, 13th rushing)
1999 – 11th overall (12th scoring, 4th passing, 26th rushing)

St. Louis

2006– 23rd overall (28th scoring, 8th passing, 31st rushing)
2007 – 21st overall (31st scoring, 21st passing, 20th rushing)

MISCELLANEOUS

Interview as New Orleans HC on 10/08 Game vs. Redskins (PDF)

p1_haslett_getty.jpg

Last edited:
Well, at least our offense will put up a lot of points. Hopefully.

Hey folks, maybe this will be his moment in time to really shine.

It wouldn't be the first time stats stacked up didn't mean doodley squat with a change in location.

Poor bastage has barely been on staff a full day, and you guys have him dog bit, and the D stepping on it's pecker already.

While I'm not thrilled with the signing, I'm keeping an open mind right now.

Hey folks, maybe this will be his moment in time to really shine.

It wouldn't be the first time stats stacked up didn't mean doodley squat with a change in location.

Poor bastage has barely been on staff a full day, and you guys have him dog bit, and the D stepping on it's pecker already.

While I'm not thrilled with the signing, I'm keeping an open mind right now.

Hey man, I'm totally in the tank for Haslett. Shanny too. I want nothing but success for the Redskins.

Haslett only needs to have our corners not line up 120 yards off the line of scrimmage for me to be happy.

Haslett and Spanos worked together in Pittsburgh.

There is a thread of experience and trust running through these hires that we on the outside are only peripherally aware of.

Shanahan needs to construct a coaching staff consisting of assistants who are willing to follow his lead and NOT operate with their own agendas as we saw with holdover assistants under Jim Zorn.

The recent hires are all guys that Shanahan trusts and has known for some time.

I think the staff will be fine.

When you look back at where Haslett has been, outside of Pittsburgh, where has he really operated with any talent and a front office with record of success?

He helped turn around a dog team in New Orleans and then was coach on a Rams team that was in the process of cleaning house after the Vermeil players had started to age and leave via free agency.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.