• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

BGO Tailgating - Our Own Unique Way

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
So anyway, I had this idea - yeah, it happens every few years or so. :)

I got to thinking about how we have some great cooks here and how we share thoughts about dinner, various foods, and what we like to eat. Then the idea came to me.

We need to have four BGO gatherings/tailgates a year, but in our own unique way. Most of us live too far from FedEx for regular gatherings and making just one tailgate or game is a huge challenge for many of us. That's when I came up with the idea of having four online BGO gatherings per year - stay with me on this idea...

The gatherings would take place Super Bowl weekend, Draft Day weekend, Opening Day weekend, and one other time to be determined - the last one would be a new theme each year such as a picnic, time at the beach, a trip to the mountains, etc.

Via each thread on those times to come together, we would celebrate that event BGO style. We could share what we are eating in the special way of meals on Saturday and Sunday in this forum. True, we would not be together in person, but there is still an atmosphere that we can share through the 5 O'Clock postings.

Other things can be done like things with the arcade and in the main Sons of Washington forum. Feel free to add more ideas. Feel free to weigh in Mods. :)

Thoughts? Ideas? Make each event a sticky in here?

I don't have any ideas to contribute.....yet. But I have to say I really like this idea, and the potential it has. I would love to go to a real tailgate someday, and really knock it out of the park with the food, but the simple truth is I just can't afford it. I've never been to a game, and at this rate I won't get there any time soon. So this idea works perfect for me.

Virtual tailgate parties huh? I like it :)

Good start - we have three votes for the idea thus far. Anyone else care to chime in?

Post your thoughts and ideas.

I need to see if Microsoft offers software to allow me to have virtual smells and tastes from this tailgate. :smile2:

I think it is a great idea. Great for the board to get together over couple virtual beers and hang out together.

Great job BB

If it's anything like our Game Day Chats, I am in! I think Goal told me he was going to ask for a chat during the first round of the draft, that may be a good time to get something like this started off right!

If it's anything like our Game Day Chats, I am in! I think Goal told me he was going to ask for a chat during the first round of the draft, that may be a good time to get something like this started off right!

I'm with El on this. I have fun in the chat room during games-it's almost like being in a sports bar without the loudmouth drunks-and having something like this for the draft, SB, opening day and another one whenever sounds cool to me.

Awesome ideas! Glad to hear this is a hit. So far, we have...

1. Saturday and Sunday devoted to some nice meals, deserts, snacks, etc. and "sharing" what we are eating.

2. The Arcade is open for fun.

3. Chat open at designated times for talking and fun stuff.

4. Making each event a sticky in the 5 O'Clock forum.

The events that we have agreed on so far are the SB Weekend, Draft Weekend, and Opening Day Weekend.

The other idea I had was to mirror the chili cookoff that comes in early December at FedEx. We could have a BGO Chili Cookoff that weekend as well. With the official titles, we would have...

A. BGO Super Weekend (Can't use "Super Bowl" - it is copyrighted).

B. BGO Draft Weekend.

C. BGO Opening Day Weekend.

D. BGO Chili Cookoff Weekend.

Keep the ideas coming!

I love this idea. I'd like to get folks to share their recipes a couple of days beforehand as well, so we can get an idea of what people are doing and steal some menu items, so to speak. Boone is a chili master, and I'm sure he will have some awesome new recipe items the rest of us might incorporate into our chilis. Extreme does really well with seafood, so that might work as well.

Cool stuff...

I love this idea. I'd like to get folks to share their recipes a couple of days beforehand as well, so we can get an idea of what people are doing and steal some menu items, so to speak. Boone is a chili master, and I'm sure he will have some awesome new recipe items the rest of us might incorporate into our chilis. Extreme does really well with seafood, so that might work as well.

Cool stuff...
x2

As far as a chili cookoff goes, I think a cool idea for that would be for everyone that's going to participate to "register" like when we sign up for FF, and then the day before the cookoff, everyone has to post their recipes, and everyone participating will make a batch of each and we pick the winner based on everyone being able to taste everything. I usually make massive batches of chili, but adjusting a recipe so we don't ll end up with 500 gallons of chili to taste wouldn't be too hard.

Better yet, we can limit it to 4-6 people, chosen by random draw if there are more than 4-6 people interested. Then to keep recipes sacred for those of us who don't want to display all that info, a judge or 2 can be picked to make the chili and taste and rate it, and we can just PM the recipes to those people.

My chili is very unconventional, but I've won 2 local contests with it already :D

I really enjoy the chat feature on gameday when I'm not in attendance. To me, those chats feel like a virtual tailgate of sorts. The camaraderie, the jokes, the good-natured ribbing, and Candian Bacon's pics give it the same atmosphere as a gameday 'gate.

I like the Big Four you selected, but hopefully I'll miss at least two of them. Not because I don't enjoy the company, but because I hope to be at FedEx.

Great idea, my friend. Let's make it happen!

Good idea on sharing the recipes and making comparisons. We're off to a great start here.

One other idea - we can post pics of our virtual tailgating. Pics of food. Pics of our fandom. Pics of our Redskins attire/memorabilia.

Another item of note. Some of us have spouses and significant others who cheer for other teams. They are certainly welcome to take part in the fun. We cheer for the Redskins, but there is room for all. I'm dating a devoted Eagles fan, but she is great and a knowledgeable football fan.

The BGO Store is always open and the mods can promote it during these events - just another idea.

A few more ideas and we are good to go. :)

so....let's...errrr...spice it up a bit. what of us poor souls who are not cooks? can we be judges?.... :) .....

very creative idea BB!

why not take it one step further...while not all of us live within driving range collectively...many of us do live in clusters where a drive isn't that unreasonable. virtual/physical mash?

I think this is a great idea, BB. The game day chats were, for me, the best part of an otherwise dismal season last year. It would be a blast to watch the draft with you guys this year.

I’m a lousy cook so I can’t contribute any recipes. But I do a terrific job of washing dishes so I'll be sure to post photos of my clean pots and pans. :biggrin2:

For those who are not cooks, just get some of your favorites at the local specialty store, restaurant, supermarket, etc. Make use of your favorite food delivery solutions. Invite a friend or several friends - they can bring some good stuff to eat.

For those who live close to FedEx, this is a great idea. But keep in mind that each of the four events is a weekend celebration. There will be lots of fun. :)

Coming soon. Our first virtual tailgate is for Draft Day Weekend. Make your plans and be there! :)

We'll have a new thread in the next day or so - perhaps a sticky?

Plan your meals and fun. RG3 is on his way and we will celebrate Thursday, Friday, and Saturday in style! Sunday too - heck, make it an entire weekend of fun.

Already thinking of what I'll make for food. A large deli-style pizza. BBQ ribs. Sirloin steaks. Fried chicken. Seafood. Sub sandwiches. Cheesecake. Apple pie.

More info to come.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.